Thursday, August 9, 2012

the great {cheap} steak out.


Like most husbands mine loves him some red meat. I know, I know. Shocking! But with keeping the groceries within budget and under same much as possible it’s safe to say we’re not eating porterhouse and filet mignon every week!! But we do enjoy a yummy steak every other week. And we honestly only spend (give or take a little) $5 on it.

Tips for a yummy and CHEAP steak:

1.) Buy a cheap cut. We buy a “marinating cut” at the store. Your store should have it and it’ll be right on the label. Between the two of us we rrreally can’t (and shouldn’t) eat more than a pound of meat. So we buy something under one pound. Also look for one that is in the $4-$6 range (for two people) that has the most “marbling” aka fat throughout the meat. This will give you a more tender steak.



2.) It’s a marinating cut so of course marinate it. Obviously it’s not a super expensive steak so the meat alone isn’t like going to Malones (not that I’ve ever been) so you aren’t gonna “ruin” it by not eating it as is, you want to enhance the flavor. 

For our marinade I use the same basic ingredients but sometimes edit it based on my mood or what we have in the house. 

You want to mix in a container that will fit your steak all the ingredients. Use about equal parts of the liquid ingredients, just enough so you can submerge your steak in it once it’s all mixed up. And I would guess close to a tablespoon of the dried herbs, I just sort of dump a little in.

-Soy sauce
-Red wine vinegar 
-Balsamic vinegar
-Worcestershire sauce (insert Shrek the 3rd Donkey quote)
-Canola/Vegetable/Olive oil (which ever you prefer or have on hand)
-2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
-Basil
-Parsley
-Rosemary
-Oregano 
-Black pepper

Again you can made substitutions or add something to it. Today I added a little cumin and I’ve also put fresh jalapeƱo, cilantro, and red onion that I minced real fine in my food processor first into it instead of the more “Italian” herbs before. 

After you have it all mixed up submerge your steak in it for at least 2-3 hours. If you think it get it ready earlier then do it! I wouldn’t do it any sooner than the morning of though. 



3.) Before you cook it let the steak come to room temperature! This helps to keep it tender. Take the steak out of the marinade and let it sit on a plate for maybe 20 mins or so. This will give you a more tender steak and that’s what you want! 

At this point I’ve also started sprinkling a little garlic salt on the steak while it sits. Not too much cause that can be wayyy too salty but just a sprinkle over the top will do.



4.) Now you’re ready to cook it! You can cook it any way you want but one last important thing to remember is to use a meat thermometer! This way you don’t over cook it. I always cook ours medium rare. 

We have one of the thermometers that you can set what you want to cook it to and leave it in the meat and it will beep when it’s ready. Super handy. 

So you can grill it, sear it, or broil it. We can’t have a grill where we live so we have a handy dandy George Forman and I cook it on that. 




5.) Once your steak it done put it on a platter and let it rest again for a few minutes. This way all the juices have time to soak into the meat. If you cut it too soon all the juices will run out but if you wait they will stay put!



6.) Eat. Enjoy. 

I hope you enjoy a cheap and yummy steak sometime soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment, I absolutely loving reading them. You guys are the best :)